Sherpa Kids is a top-rated Before School Care, After Care and Holiday Care company on SchoolAdvisor. You will struggle to find another company that offers all these services with the same quality of service and professionalism that Sherpa Kids does. They asked us to post the below article to help you understand the standard they set and show you why they are used by more than 30 top schools in SA.
Sherpa Kids is an internationally accredited provider of Out of School Hours Care or commonly referred to as OSHC. Services are accredited through Child Youth and Family Services (CYFS) in New Zealand, the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) in Australia and Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted) in the United Kingdom. The Sherpa Kids offering includes before school, aftercare and holiday care.
Established in 1996 in New Zealand, it is now caring for more than 9000 children a day in more than 250 primary schools globally. OSHC services are offered on the school site and may include retaining the school’s current staff or the recruitment of a specialist team. As part of a growing global footprint, Sherpa Kids also has centres in Ireland and Canada.
Established in 2014 in South Africa, Sherpa Kids aftercare providers look after more than a thousand children a day. Partner schools comprise of more than 30 leaders and include St David’s Marist Inanda, St Stithians, Nova Pioneer School Group, Lebone II College of the Royal Bafokeng, Somerset College, Hout Bay International, Saheti and Assumption Convent.
We also provide solutions to public schools such as Emmarentia Primary, Kensington Ridge Primary and Fairways Primary School in Gauteng.
Global best practices
What do global best practices include?
How do current standards compare with global practices?
Which of these are in place at your schools’ aftercare facility?
Are you following these standards and practices?
- Strict staff ratio of 1:15 to ensure care and engagement.
- Staff trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), asthma and anaphylactic management, behaviour management and incident reporting.
- Aftercare programmes that consider homework supervision, rest, focused but fun activities and free play.
- An aftercare centre that remains open until 6pm daily.
- Flexibility for parents in terms of enrolment, for instance, annual contracts, monthly contracts or services needed on an ad-hoc basis.
- Digital signing-in-and-out facilities for children using an online childcare management system.
- The system should ensure that all children in your care are accounted for and released only to authorised parents and guardians.
- Structured daily programmes include weekly themes and educational activities such as Arts and Crafts, Music and Drama, Sports and Games as well as Fun Food and Experiments.
- Do you offer a school holiday aftercare service that runs from 7am until 6 pm throughout all school holiday periods?