Are you worried about viruses and malware creeping their way into your school? Maybe you’re concerned about what content your students are viewing on their cellphones or tablets.
Did you know that your school is vulnerable to cyber risks?
Before we talk about the solution, we need to first comprehensively define the problem. Did you know that there are multiple threats to look out for? Listen carefully, as your school is currently vulnerable to at least one of these cyber risks.
These risks include: Your confidential and sensitive data being at risk to cyber-theft, students being vulnerable to inappropriate content, and your network being open to threats such as ransomwares, viruses, spyware and intrusions. View an extensive threat report here.
Do not fret, help is on the way. SchoolAdvisor has discovered a solution that will keep all the cyber bugs away and ensure your students are only looking at appropriate content on their devices. SonicWALL is a ‘next-generation’ firewall that will not only ensure all cyber-threats are kept at bay, but will do so without impeding academic performance and productivity.
If you aren’t sure what to look out for, we have included some key components a network security solution should include below
Five key components to consider when selecting a network security solution:
1) Content filtering – protects students from harmful websites both at school and home on school-issued devices, in line with CIPA (children’s internet protection act) requirements.
Layman terms: this protects students from harmful web content and prevents them from accessing porn sites, torrent sites (where students download pirated movies), etc.
2) DPI-SSL – provides Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) of encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) traffic. Provides additional security, application control, and data leakage prevention for analyzing encrypted traffic.
Layman terms: it comprehensively protects the network from hackers who use the likes of emails, software, USB devices, and other means to access your network. (e.g. a learner has a virus that he is unaware of on his flash disk which can download to your network).
3) Gateway security services – comprehensive protection from threats such as viruses, intrusions, botnets, spyware, worms, Trojans, adware, keyloggers, malicious mobile code (MMC), and other dangerous applications and web content.
Layman terms: acts like a security guard that monitors and prevents harmful data from entering or even leaving your network. It is like your IT manager is permanently on guard checking everything.
4) Sandboxing with Capture – multi-engine sandbox (program used to test unknown files that may contain viruses) which protects your network from zero-day attacks (or viruses that have not been publicly reported before becoming active).
Layman terms: technology that protects your computers, smartphones, networks etc. connected to the internet from viruses and malwares that have not even been identified yet.
5) Wireless network security – extends the above protection to provide secure, high-speed wireless access for students, faculty, and staff, using either school-issued or personal devices.
Layman terms: scans and protects all your students’ and teachers’ mobile devices that are connected to the Wi-Fi network. It does this while ensuring optimal internet speed.
6) WAN acceleration – optimizes network bandwidth for academic applications to enhance performance and productivity, while an integrated global management system streamlines deployment, administration, and integration, to lower TCO (total cost of ownership).
Layman terms: speeds up web browsing and general network speed – system knows what is important and ensures that is quick to download.
Here’s a summary of some of the benefits SonicWALL offers your school:
- Protects your school’s network and enables safe internet access on multiple devices
- Increases productivity due to ease of use
- Delivers time savings with their proactive approach to IT support
- Provides a future-proof, easily scalable approach to network and internet security
We hope that you now know the various cyber risks that your school faces and that you take these risks seriously. The good news is that SonicWALL is here to help. They have already worked with various schools and can easily tailor their solutions to meet your specific needs.
Here is some positive feedback from two schools who used SonicWALL for their school
“With SonicWALL, we can stay at the forefront of this changing landscape. We have a great business relationship with Dell SonicWALL, and its customer service and engineering support was outstanding.”
-C.J. Daab, Technology Support Coordinator, Hall County Schools
“SonicWALL NGFW has lived up to its promises. We feel very well protected and have not experienced any security breaches or content filtering issues.”
-Harry van der Burgt, IT Manager St Dominic’s School for Girls
(See how SonicWALL met all of St Dominic’s School for Girls’ needs in this case study).
We love how simple SonicWALL has made it for schools. Remain virus-free and web-safe with one solution. Cyber threats are real and can easily creep in, unnoticed. So, let’s keep our schools virus-free, network-secure, and our students protected! SchoolAdvisor urges all schools to read this threat report to raise awareness and ensure that all cyber threats are avoided.